Ok..shan't keep you guys and gals in suspense, don't think any ropes can keep some people in suspense for long (SD? Am I Right? haha). Yeah! Today is the first day of Comex 2008. Started doing my research a month ago when I knew about this fair. I have missed out a couple of IT fairs cos I don't need anything of a large "investment" quantum so I can miss out on those bargains and would not get tempted by the new products. So...I know I need a laptop cos my first boy- Toshiba, is dying of old age. Toshiba-san has been with me for 7 years since my uni days. I took great pains in taking care of his "health" and "looks", while for some whom I know destroyed their laptops by spilling water over it or having cracked screens, etc.
Considering Toshiba-san could die any moment and my desktop seems to be giving me some problems and it is like at least 4 yrs old, I decided is time to shop for a lappie and yupz! Sony Vaios! Actually, was comparing between a few brands and finally decided on Sony Vaios SR13GN. The latest range from Sony Vaios and the price is $2499. Did all the necessary research before I rushed to Comex during lunch hour. I gobbled down my lunch in the most unfeminine way within 15 minutes. Both WL and AO were surprised that I declared myself full when half of the plate is still full and I was all so ready to get going, it sorta drove me mad when the 2 girls were taking their own sweet time to eat.
Finally, we got our lazy asses of the chairs and walked towards Suntec City. Wow! There was already a jam and we saw some people carrying LCD monitors, already and it was only 12.20pm! FYI. The fair starts at 12pm. So we reached Suntec Convention hall and we were swarmed by brochures which we happily collected. Went to the big Sony booth at the 3rd level, checked out the stuff and asked a few questions. Decided to think about it again and went to 4th level where all the big brands are there for instance (Canon, Casio, FujiFlim, Nikon, Sony, Epson, etc). I suggested that we should strategise, so AO and WL split off to look for cameras brochures, while I went to the Sony Vaios booth again to ask a few questions more to get the facts clear. Went to Fujifilm booth to check out the camera and I got a bad paper cut at the booth! The girl was really friendly, explaining to me the camera ranges but doesnt appeal to me much that I told her I'll get back to her if I am interested. Went back to Sony booth after consulting my mother and decided to get my SR13GN. Yesh! I got a black Sony Vaios SR13GN, it came with a carrying case, free optical mouse and free upgrade to 4GB ram. Happy with my purchase, I went to the DBS sure-win lucky draw and I got myself a $10 taka voucher, 2 tries for lucky draw that got me a retractable micro-mouse and a small torchlight. AO called me to tell me she spotted some cheap bargains on the 6th floor. 2GB SD cards selling at $9 each. So I got her to buy 2 for me. We met and rushed back to office with 1 big Sony paper bag and the laptop box.
My Sony Vaios SR13GN!!! (Charging...)
After work, AO and I decided to have a quick dinner and popped by Comex another time. This time...to look for good buys for cameras. I thought of getting a more portable camera that has specs that are between the Fujifilm camera that my mama owns and the Canon semi-pro powershot that I have. Went to check out Panasonic booth for their Lumix range. Was deciding between Fujifilm FX100fd or maybe a Lumix (Cos i recalled SD's camera is a Lumix and is quite good). After chatting with the guy there who recommended me DMC-FX38, I managed to get him to give me some discount. In fact, he started to chat more when I spoke to him in Chinese, the Singaporean style. At first, it was $520, just $29 off the original price. I told him.. "you can try better..c'mon..." He came back with $500 or $510 with a free battery. I told him I'll consider and helped out my secretary, AL to see which camera she wanted. She couldnt decide and when I went to Fujifilm to check out the ones that she want. I told her Panasonic Lumix is better choice. So we went back, this other guy who's the first Panasonic promoter's supervisor saw me again, assisted AL and answered her queries, doing comparison between different camera brands. This supervisor told me "If you really want the camera, $500 with the free battery in!" haha... Yeah! Knocked off a total of $49 from the original price. My first attempt to bargain for something. Anyway, I managed to persuade the supervisor to throw in more freebies and cash discount for AL, succeeded after 15 minutes. But AL changed her mind and decided not to get it. I went ahead to get my camera! hee..a sleek looking brown camera! Cool!
My New Boy Boy- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX38
My new boy boy & the freebies!
So now... I am a very happy girl! Seeing my Sony Vaios lying there, charging and played with my camera just now. WOOHOO!!! No more shopping for me, I have spent a grand total of S$3,053 (inclusive of the 6 SD cards I bought). *BIG SMILE*
Just a note here. I dont see why there's a fuss among my colleagues/friends when I bought the Sony Vaios laptop. When I started out working, I heard about Sony Vaios. But at that time, fresh out of uni, I wasnt earning much (not as if I earn alot now), so I put off the idea of getting a new laptop, considering Toshiba-san was still workable. But I did tell myself that one day I hope to own a Sony Vaios laptop. After THREE long years, I am a proud owner of a Sony Vaios laptop now. I don't think I have splurged like as if I am a rich kid only spending on impulse. In fact, I have been thinking through, comparing prices and specifications, consulting many people before I made this decision. I hate it when people made comments like "Wah..you damn rich lor....", "aiyah, you can well afford it lah, you so rich...", "Buying that brand is like a luxury good", etc. I don't really take this kind of comments, kindly. Call me sensitive...but I just dont like it...receiving comments almost every other day, indicating that I am rich and atas. What irks me when I received comments like "only eat at air-con places, restaurants, etc and lunches usually cost more than $10", "aiyah..she won't buy cheap stuff during sales". I mean if thats my reputation in the office, can you imagine what my bosses are thinking about me? Whatever it is, as long as I know I am spending within my means, I just have to learn to tell them to buzz off...
1 comment:
Alright, girl! We can now happily take as many photographs as we like on our respective LUMIX.... have fun!
Post a Comment