Monday, December 08, 2008

Newly discovered theories...

YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!! My exams are finally over! Many of you probably have asked me how's the paper? Well...my classmates and I sorta discovered some new theories, which are yet to be proven true (until the results are out).

Woke up at 6.15am, like my normal working day, feeling actually very awake and looking forward to the battle for 6 hours with 240 MCQ questions. I reached the venue at 7.30am. Del called me at about 7.45am and informed me that she has reached. Gosh! There were so many candidates (most of them look like foreigners), gathering at the bags area and the seating arrangement area. Del and I have a hard time finding each other, but we managed to meet and decided that we should each check our seat no. first and go to the washroom.

While queuing for our turns, we discussed about how we have revised for our paper. Del told me she just depended on the lecture notes and didnt have much time attempting the questions in the CFA textbooks. I told her I did attempt the questions after Ser kept reminding me to do so and bcos I was reading the textbooks, I didnt practise much but I mentioned to her that the "D-Rule" doesnt seem to apply for the questions. Surprisingly, she asked me if the answers appear under "C"? I told her, yes. So she said...in this case we should switch it to "C-Rule". We were actually joking about it, after all it was our first attempt for this exam.

Finally, we have to enter the exam hall. Wah lau! U should have seen how many candidates were there, we occupied Hall 1 and 2 . I went to the section and looked for my seat. I was smiling when I saw where I'll be sitting. My seat was at the last row of my section. So why do I smile? Seems like I am "destined" to end up sitting at the last row during exams, as evidenced in the past exams. When I sat down, I started to look around. In front of me was a foreign student who looks kiasu and nerdy (his polo tee was tucked into his jeans, waist high and no belt) , on my right was a local guy who seems like he has been studying so much that he needs a sleep badly, on my left was an empty seat. Soon, it wasnt empty, guess what? The guy sitting on my left was actually Ser's Best Friend otherwise known as one of my other CFA classmates! How coincidental can this be?! (Note: it was not by alphabetical order, it was by the registration no. and seems like both of us have registered one after another) And while I was looking around, I spotted somebody familiar looking as one of the protors, it was my uni senior, ST and concidentally he was helping out in the same section as where I was in.

The paper started promptly at 9am and I started my favourite topic- Ethics, first. Gosh! The questions were so different compared to the past. Soon, I got my momentum going and was on track to finish all the questions within the 3 hours time span, whether it was by ti-kam or I really know the answers. In fact, I was able to re-check my answers a few times, cos is either I don't know, I not too sure or I am very sure I am right. Am I glad that the paper didnt have much calculations.

After the paper, we went to collect our belongings. There was almost a stampede when people rushed to get their bags. Ser's Best Friend commented that he feels like some refugee trying to get to some place. After we collected our bags, we waited for Del. Del called her bf to ask where he is, cos her bf became our lunch delivery-man for the day.We sat in the open and started reading our notes while we have our lunches and discussed about the morning paper. Ser asked what were most of our answers and I replied "Oh...if i dunno the answer, I applied the 'C-Rule'." Del nodded her head and Ser was curious about the "C-rule" I mentioned. So Del explained to her about what we discussed in the toilet. She panicked and commented that she put "D" since she remembered what we mentioned the last time during the mock paper. I laughed and told her that after attemptin the questions from the CFA textbooks, she should have realised what we have discovered. In fact, while doing the questions during the exam, I have noticed that the questions that I am confident of getting them right, seems to have answers as C. Ser's Best Friend also agreed with me that he put "C" for the answers that he doesnt know.

While revising our notes, we started discussing the strategies for attempting the questions. I told them besides applying the "C-Rule", I have also applied the "Intution Theory", when "C-Rule" has been eliminated cos the option seems totally wrong. I have also checked on the general pattern of "S" forming in the answer sheet. Ser commented that she can't believe I have actually applied all these theories and rules for the paper. Ser's Best Friend told her "That's call Technical Analysis, they have gone into analysing how the answers are formed without attempting the questions, looking at probability and general pattern" Ser started crapping and mentioned that it doesnt work under Efficient Market Hypothesis. I told her, it doesnt work in a Strong EMH but it works under weak and semi-strong form. We were practically throwing whatever we have studied into our conversation and it was really funny! haha..

I told them that the guy in front of me didnt abide to the Code of Conduct and Standards as a candidate cos he was still writing when the protor announced that the exam is over and all of us must stop writing. I was tempted to raise my hand and alert the protor! Hey, after all we must be ethical and abide the Code rite? And it was also an opportunity to eliminate possible competition who passes the paper. But I told them I didnt do it cos I realised, if that person is struggling with the questions till the end, it means one thing...the probability of him making the mark is rather low. haha..the 3 of them couldnt stop laughing at this comment.

Ser kept commenting that she feels she's going to fail the paper, so I reminded her that the lecturer once told us that if we come out of the room feeling that we'll pass the paper, most likely we'll flunk it. She asked "what if we feel like we are goin to fail?" Her Best Friend told her "it means you going to fail terribly..." So she asked "huh? Then how will you feel if you going to pass the paper?" I replied "Feel CONFUSED? Like the 4 of us right now!"

Del and I decided to go to the washroom before we enter the exam hall for our afternoon paper. While queuing, there was this lady with a backpack in front of me, she put it on the floor and asked Del to help her look after and Del was just behind me. When she went in, Del realised that there were 3 cubicles and that what if the 2of us enter the cubicles, her backpack will be left unattended. I told Del "Hey c'mon..she's also a CFA candidate, she must have calculated the probability is higher than u'll be still waiting for your turn when she comes out from the cubicle." Del laughed and was rather skeptical about my explanation. True enough! She came out of the toilet, Del and I were still waiting for our turns. The 2 of us burst out laughing and Del was like "WOW! U are really good! U are right about her." haha...

Afternoon paper started promptly at 2pm, this time it was tougher! The questions were rather different and the difficulty level was higher. However,there were many candidates who left the room earlier. Maybe they gave up or they were really smart. After the paper, Ser's Best Friend told me he realised there were more empty seats at the start of the paper than the morning paper. It could mean that those candidates have given up hope and went home instead of spending 3 more hours struggling. Interesting!

So there you go... that was how my wonderful sunday went. 6 hours of struggling with finance stuff and I managed to survive with a big smile on my face. Not because I am confident of passing the paper, but a smile that I managed to do it, accomplishing my level 1 studying plus the exam, even if the outcome is bad, at least I know I did pick up the courage to challenge myself and pick this tough course. I can always re-take the paper in June next year and join nemuiyo (Hey, we can study together! haha).

No comments: